Spondylolisthesis is a condition where the bone of the vertebrae in the spine slips out of position.
Causes of Spondylolisthesis
Spondylolisthesis can result from several different causes:
- For children, this can be a birth defect or from trauma.
- For adults, the most common cause of the slip is degenerative diseases.
- Other causes can be bone diseases, traumatic fractures, and stress fractures.
- Low backache
- Pain depending on fracture location
- Muscle pain
- Muscle spasms
- Loss of range-of-motion
The first step to begin diagnosing spondylolisthesis is a physical exam; spondylolisthesis can also be diagnosed by an X-ray, MRI, or CT scan.
Coastal Spine has developed several spondylolisthesis treatments, including:
- Bracing, physical therapy and injections
- If spondylolisthesis symptoms get worse, surgery may be required. Surgical treatment can often be arranged in an outpatient setting with a minimally invasive surgical procedure. The procedures are completed either in our spine dedicated surgical center or the local hospital.
- Possible surgeries include minimally invasive laminectomy and fusion (TLIF).